Tuesday, May 20, 2014

DO LDS ROB THE POOR?

2nd Nephi 28:13

13 They rob the poor because of their fine sanctuaries; they rob the poor because of their fine clothing; and they persecute the meek and the poor in heart, because in their pride they are puffed up.

Do I even feel anything for the poor?  What does that say about me?  Do I think more about acquiring "stuff" (my own sanctuary) or in serving the poor?  Is my "fast offerings" each month enough to check the poor off the list or will I be accountable for how I allocate my other resources?  Is the above scripture aimed at Latter Day Saints - or just the other Christians?

I'm reminded of the last scene of Schindler's list (worth watching!) when Oskar Schindler realizes he could have saved more people had he sold the gold ring on his hand - and he was tormented by that thought.  In the next life, will I feel good about how I've used the resources God has blessed me with?  Could I live in a house 1/2 the value and use the freed up resources to bless those starving in Ecuador (for example)?  What would really bring more lasting joy:  a big house (more material) or blessing the lives of others really in need?

Is it ok to just feel like the poor deserve to be poor?  Maybe we think of them as lazy bums not worthy of our help?  Besides we pay taxes, tithing, and donate to church charities.   Is that good enough?  Does that allow us to sink so much of what's left into a house and maybe a mortgage?  I guess that blesses the bankers kids...  

We certainly seem to spend a lot on buildings, but it's interesting it also mentions clothes.  I always thought it was a jab at Catholic leadership.  But maybe LDS men don't need to wear fancy business suits to church and the women can leave some of their jewelry at home (or sell it all to bless the poor).  I understand the Jewish leadership at the time of Christ would wear white linen robes with blue tassels to distinguish themselves and Jesus most likely wore the common laborers' brown wool robe.  Are we inadvertently insisting on wearing the white linen and blue tassels of our day or could we be content to wear the common laborers clothes and give the difference to the poor?  

Are the traditions we have for what to wear really what Jesus would prefer?  Would he wear a western corporate business suit and expect everyone else to do the same?  Are we sure this is the right course?  Who is really served by pushing these current norms?  What, if anything, stops us from dressing humbly - if that is what we feel is right?  For me, it's fear of the arm of flesh.  How will others judge me?

In the end, most faithful members agree the Book of Mormon is full of warnings for those that actually read the book in regard to our times.  So, could this scripture be directed at us - the church (people) and the ChurchTM?  Can we as a people - and as an institution - learn something from this verse?  Or are we sure it's just about "other" people and their churches?

8 comments:

  1. I think this could be adapted into a pretty good Sacrament meeting talk if you have the nerve, Ben.

    Nicely done. I'm adding you to the blogroll at Pure Mormonism.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its all to true in my opinion. I enjoyed your post. I believe that many of us are prideful and love our money and folklore doctrines more than we love to see relief being brought to those in need. I for one had a hard time in my mission listening to my companions explain to poverty stricken families who barely had enough food to keep them from not dying of malnutrition how they desperately needed to give 10% their income (basically 10% of what little food they had to feed themselves with) to the Church (TM) in order to get baptized and receive all sorts of wonderful blessings. It took my stubborn self 4-5 months to realize what a load of crap that was and thus I ceased demanding tithing from anyone who I taught. I also would never keep someone from being baptized if they had no intention at all to pay a dime to the Church (TM). I only tried to get the people to love Christ and gain a testimony of the Book of Mormon. I think tithing can be a form of theft when demanded from those who have no surplus to give. This faulty behavior is not only in our religion where we demand riches from those who have none to give, but many other religions also had a similar belief and tried in a manner too overbearing to squeeze riches where only poverty was. It is hard to dispel these deep engrained traditions that have been going on for longer than the LDS (TM) has been around to reinforce them upon the minds of the oppressed. However, we should know better and do better.

    I can remember one instance when the leaders and missionaries of the LDS church where I was serving at the time went to some "less active" homes to get them back to church. This was especially memorable because we were picked up in a very nice BMW SUV type car that was probably worth more than 40,000$ and all of us dressed in very nice suits and ties getting out of very expensive cars in a neighborhood of shacks that only had filthy little mattresses on their dirt floors. The children would stare at us in curiosity and the leaders would talk to the heads of the families but I only listened for so long. The church leaders would tell the family that they would get our help if they come to church. Help being rendered to the poor was only conditional upon their arrival at church to discuss the help they could receive. And how there were church members who were business owners who had 100 employees spreading across 3 or 4 businesses they owned that could give you work but if your not there then how can we help you. The dad explaining how he can't come because he needs to work and its hard and how they need help regardless. Then the leaders continuing to instill upon him the great need to attend church to get all these wonderful blessings and so that we can help you but if you don't come then you won't receive any help whatsoever.

    Anyways, a walk to the church from these homes would easily have taken them an hour to especially when considering all the little kids they would need to bring.

    I would from time to time give to the poor money as they petitioned me but not every time due to the sheer volume of petitions I feared that If I gave to everyone who asked, I would literally starve. From time to time I would buy a few kilos of rice and give that to those whom we taught. I just wised we could give more. I think only you and the Lord can know how much can be given to those in need and regardless of how much is given to always have a heart willing to give.

    In my opinion not only are the rich proud but also the poor in many instances too. That being said, that is no excuse to not give to the poor and needy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good thoughts. I recall a time when a young man lived not far from us. He lived in an old camp trailer, no windows or door and about six big dogs. He joined the church and went for a time.

      He had a bit of problem with smoking and never really gave it up. He lost his job because the state took his car because he did not comply with the so called mandatory registration requirement.

      He rode a bike to town to get food from the pantry there.

      The church would not help him because he did not go to church and pay tithing. My family use to take him down grub and even some blankets. Who knows how he fed the dogs, which eventually was not problem. Someone poisoned them.

      I take great issue with the church taking tithing for the poor then spending it on billion plus dollar malls and temples and churches. I also take issue with how we as supposed saints can live in houses many times bigger than we need, more expensive cars than we need and all the appertinances we put in our homes and think nothing of helping the homeless.
      I think some how, the Lord sees all of this and one day, when we have our PPI with Him we may have lot of explaining to do, not that it will do much good.
      I have an idea He may tell us to go see our latter day idols for our reward.

      Delete
  3. Ben: Well done. Certainly gives one pause to think. For years I have justified my walking past the poor as actually doing them a favor. I figured I did not want to contribute to their state of dependency. Besides, they would probably only spend my money on sinful things like alcohol or.... gasp.... tobacco products! Today, I was stopped at a Walmart parking lot exit and, rather than avoid eye-contact, I reached in my change tray, pulled out everything I had and rolled down my window. Funniest thing... I did not feel badly about giving. Weird. Quite the opposite happened. I caught my own feeling of charity a few minutes later and tried to pick up a hitchhiker. Have not done that in many years either. Too dangerous. Thanks for the encouragement to be Christian again.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. One day I was leaving my place of work when I noticed young man on the corner looking for donations. Of course, all the windows of passing cars were rolled up and the A/C going full blast to keep cool.

      No one was paying any attention to him. I reached for my cash which I keep on a clip to give him a few bucks. I was in hurry and traffic was making me hurryier. I think I ended up giving him whatever was on the clip, more than I had intended without a doubt.

      He walked back to the corner and disappeared down the road and some bushes. As I crossed the intersection I caught a glimpse of him standing there, head down in what appeared to be crying and giving thanks to God for the help.

      I know I too have judged about giving to some, wondering, knowing they would buy booze with the it instead of food.

      I had a stake president who told us once, the only choice we have when it comes to charity is will we or won't we. Once given it is none of our business what is done with it. The accountability then becomes, theirs, not ours.

      I enjoyed your comment.

      Delete
  4. Yes, one of the largest red flags with the LDS Church and it's leaders, that few are willing to acknowledge, is how they get people to give them their sacred tithes instead of having the people give it directly to the poor themselves as Christ taught, all the while as the Church leaders neglects and ignores the poor and uses the money on themselves and building their empire.

    It's interesting how everyone in the Church can walk or drive by the neglected poor and fatherless in their neighborhood on their way to church and still feel righteous just because they go to church. Christ said only those who visit the poor and take care of their needs will gain eternal life, he never mentioned going to church, which is useless if we ignore the poor and give our tithing to men who refuse to use it as Christ commanded.

    Everyone in the LDS Church says they believe in Christ, but few really know what he actually said, let alone follow it. Thus they are easily deceived & taken advantage of by false prophets.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christ gave us the true answer on this matter, consecration. The law of tithing is the law of Moses, not Christian. Ready to join me in consecration, anyone?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Consecration was also man's idea, as far as the kind of Consecration Joseph came up with.

    Christ's idea & commandment was very simple, no church or leaders needed, just give all our excess money and substance directly to the poor & fatherless ourselves, not to some middle man who claims to speak for God.

    ReplyDelete